[Ebook] Windows Forensics
An arcane pursuit a decade ago, forensic science today is a household term. And while the computer forensic analyst may not lead as exciting a life as TV's CSIs do, he or she relies just as heavily on scientific principles and just as surely solves crime.
Whether you are contemplating a career in this growing field or are already an analyst in a Unix/Linux environment, this book prepares you to combat computer crime in the Windows world. Here are the tools to help you recover sabotaged files, track down the source of threatening e-mails, investigate industrial espionage, and expose computer criminals.
- Identify evidence of fraud, electronic theft, and employee Internet abuse
- Investigate crime related to instant messaging, Lotus Notes(r), and increasingly popular browsers such as Firefox
- Learn what it takes to become a computer forensics analyst
- Take advantage of sample forms and layouts as well as case studies
- Protect the integrity of evidence
- Compile a forensic response toolkit
- Assess and analyze damage from computer crime and process the crime scene
- Develop a structure for effectively conducting investigations
- Discover how to locate evidence in the Windows Registry